In Memory of
ALFRED NASH
Private 12264
9th Bn., Essex Regiment
who died on Tuesday, 12th October 1915.
 
 
Commonwealth
War Graves
Commission
 
 
            Casualty_Details :       527635

 
 
Personal Information

Son of Eliza Nash (school record) of Little Brighton.

Alfred went to Rayne School, being admitted on 23rd November 1903 when the family moved from Braintree, leaving on 10th September 1906 to work on a farm.

By 1911, Alfred was living at Duck End Green with George and Emma Richardson and their son Ernest.

Alfred enlisted in Chelmsford. Went to France 30th May 1915.

 
Memorial: Grave
 
Reference/Panel Number:

Location:
DUD CORNER CEMETERY, LOOS, Pas de Calais, France VIM. B. 13. Loos-en-Gohelle is a village 5 kilometres north-west of Lens. Dud Corner Cemetery is located about 1 kilometre west of the village, to the north-east of the N43 the main Lens to Bethune road. The Loos Memorial forms the side and back of Dud Corner Cemetery and commemorates over 20,000 officers and men who have no known grave, who fell in the area from the River Lys to the old southern boundary of the First Army, east and west of Grenay.
 
The name "Dud Corner" is believed to be due to the large number of unexploded enemy shells found in the neighbourhood after the Armistice. The only burials here during hostilities were those of four Officers of the 9th Black Watch and one Private of the 8th Royal Dublin Fusiliers, close to Plot III, Row B; the remainder of the graves were brought in later from small cemeteries and isolated positions near Loos and to the North.
 
There are now nearly 2,000, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site. Of these, over half are unidentified and special headstones have been erected to 15 soldiers from the United Kingdom who are believed to be buried among them. The great majority of the dead buried here fell in the Battle of Loos, 1915; but some were killed in succeeding years.

The regimental memorials brought to the Cemetery included those of the 10th Scottish Rifles and the 17th London Regiment, dating from the Battle of Loos, and those of the Royal Montreal Regiment and the Royal Highlanders of Canada, dating from the Battle of Hill 70 in August, 1917. Special memorials are erected in this Cemetery to twelve soldiers of the 2nd Welch Regiment, killed in action on the 12th October, 1915, and buried in Crucifix Cemetery, Loos, whose graves could not be found on concentration.

The cemetery now covers an area of 5,550 square metres, and is bounded by a low rubble wall except on the road side, where the War Stone is raised on a grass terrace and flanked by buildings.

The more important of the small cemeteries concentrated into Dud Corner Cemetery were the following:-.

TOSH CEMETERY, LOOS, on the North side of the village, close to the communication trench called Tosh Alley. It contained the graves of 171 soldiers from the United Kingdom (118 of whom were Irish) and five from Canada. It was used from October, 1915, to September, 1917.

CRUCIFIX CEMETERY, LOOS, a little West of Tosh Cemetery. It was used from September, 1915, to May, 1916, and it contained the graves of 53 soldiers from the United Kingdom.

LE RUTOIRE BRITISH CEMETERY, VERMELLES, close to Le Rutoire Farm, which is on Loos Plain, near the village of Vermelles. It was used in 1915, and contained the graves of 82 soldiers from the United Kingdom and six French soldiers.

 
Theatre of War

Private Nash died in the same heavy shelling that killed Thomas Hammond and Alex Richardson. They died as they waited to attack the quarries on the Vermelles- Hulluch road in the early stages of the Battle of Loos.